Administrative Assistant (Start Date August 2021)
Basic Purpose: The Administrative Assistant to the Assistant Head of School and Chief Equity Officer provides confidential, consistent and professional support. Possessing excellent organizational, writing and editing skills and an ability to anticipate the needs of the office, the administrative assistant takes initiative to make the work of the Assistant Head and Chief Equity Officer more efficient.
Since 1915, Shady Hill, a school of approximately 520 students (PreK - 8) and 70 faculty, has been a leader in progressive education. Shady Hill is a deeply mission-driven school. We seek to develop independent, joyful and curious learners who respect their own accomplishments and those of others. We strive to be a community whose values are strong and whose teachers are unafraid to engage students in important questions. The school’s program allows children to explore their worlds and test their powers. As a school with a historical and contemporary commitment to social justice, we believe that an inclusive and equitable community is an educational and moral imperative that empowers us all. Therefore, we seek to hire teachers who demonstrate a mindset and skill set that prioritizes cultural competence, equity, and justice in their practice with students and in their work with colleagues.
A hallmark of a Shady Hill education is the Central Subject methodology. Students in Grades III-VIII engage in an assigned Central Subject, an in-depth, integrated study of a particular time or people in history. The year-long study, which emphasizes strong content, the use of primary sources, understanding of multiple perspectives, acquisition of essential skills, and self-discovery, forms the core of our curriculum. Gradeheads (lead teachers) are responsible for developing content and implementing instruction in both social studies/history and language arts, with the support of performing arts and visual arts faculty to integrate these disciplines.
Shady Hill School is also a teaching training institution. Its long-standing Teacher Training Center, which brings as many as eighteen apprentice teachers to campus each year, prepares talented people for careers in education and allows each faculty member the opportunity to be a mentor and meaningful contributor to the teaching field. Because of the school’s commitment to teacher training, the school seeks teachers with certification or a demonstrated interest in working towards certification when hired by Shady Hill School.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Act as liaison between the Chief Equity Officer and Assistant Head of School and the school community
- Prepare and coordinate calendars and schedules, and make arrangements for meetings and special events
- Maintain email lists, files, and minutes for meetings
- Manage schedule and calendar for the Chief Equity Officer and the Assistant Head of School
- Coordinate travel arrangements
- Screen and direct phone calls for the Assistant Head of School and Chief Equity Officer
- Manage budget and expenses for the Assistant Head of School and Chief Equity Officer
- Compose initial drafts of emails, letters, and other correspondence
- Maintain agenda topics, status lists and minutes for team meetings
- Monitor and direct special projects as assigned
- Perform other duties as requested
- Previous administrative assistant experience required
- Associates/Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Excellent cultural competency and a desire to learn and grow in terms of equitable practices
- Outstanding organization, communication, writing, and editing skills
- The ability to see a need and take initiative in fulfilling it
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), Google Suite, and familiarity with database and calendar functionality
To apply, please send a pdf including a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include “Administrative Assistant” in the subject line of the e-mail.
Shady Hill offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package, including medical, dental and vision insurance plans, a school-matched retirement plan and paid time off. Shady Hill is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. For more information on Shady Hill please visit us at www.shs.org